A Memorable Teacher ( Student Years)

My personal and fond memories of my first  teacher  was actually my  first grade teacher Ms. Charles in kindergarten at P.S. 121Q. She was such a delight, very patient and tolerant with all of the children.  I was very scared the first day and I was constantly crying. I wanted to be home with my mother.  Even-though  I had siblings that were in higher level grades it was  still a very  scary place at first.  Ms. Charles was so patient and noncritical. One must keep in mind of discipline and  the rules in the classroom. As I look back her management style was very much controlled and well planned.

My second favorite teacher was  Ms. Krotenberg we were free to think and ask questions, I remember asking her the same questions over and over again  and she just patiently answered my questions. I really did not understand the math and I thought she is going to be so upset because I really did not get it. After a few sessions with her I eventually came out on top. I remember that to this day. Once a teacher makes you feel like the learning process is to be molded and how it takes time. I was willing to even work harder. She never lost her cool. Mrs. Krontenberg  was cool, disciplined and laid back but still managed to focus the class on the task and goals. She also  taught me about peer pressure, nutrition, respect for your body and others, and to always maintain good study habits throughout learning.

I have chosen to pursue teaching because it is an interesting area to work with people when at the learning stages in ones life. Learning takes place throughout all ages and at different periods in ones life.  I do know when teaching any individual or groups it takes patience, a lot of culture sensitivity and a love for the topic you are teaching to be effective to the learner.

3 Responses to A Memorable Teacher ( Student Years)

1. shallah stevens says:

Yes that is so true . We learned the real style by observing our past teachers

2. Great story about favorite teacher. Do you ever find yourself using some of the same teaching or classroom management styles as the great teachers that inspired you?

3. I had several teachers that had an immense impact on my life too. It’s amazing how good teachers’ lessons stay in your mind forever.