Elusive Goal

The obstacle I had to overcome was getting through my student teaching program and obtaining the certification in FACS. The program lasted an entire semester. When I first went into the school I thought it would be fun and I would have no problem. When it was time to create lesson plans, actually dealing with the students it was hard work. I would be up all night and sending my lessons to my cooperating teacher and she would state revise them over again. I mean I would do them over and over again.

I thought I had planned the perfect lesson one day I just taught the lesson and thought that did not go well. So I went right back to the drawing board revising, deleting and going over it with my cooperating teachers. At first I thought I was not going to come out of this one. I thought to myself, prayed to myself turned to Dr. Mosenson, and other educators in my family and seek ed their help. I eventually mastered the skill and I worked that classroom, understood the way in which it should be done. I continued to teach the classes and at the end  they all treated me so well I thought they had enough of me this student learning on their watch. They had showed me such grace, respect,tolerance and patience. I was so grateful towards them and I personally learned that even-though it may seem that you are not at the top, patience and continued hard work pays off.  They bought me a large cake, gift cards, lots of encouragement, wise educational discussions for my future endeavors. I must always be humble and thank the students for allowing me to teach them at the best of my ability. So when you state elusive goal I thought about the lessons at first was hard to comprehend, or to identify at first. However, I maintained and mastered the skill of becoming another one of Queens College FACS certified teacher.

I always say that as you climb that ladder you must remember all those who helped you as you look down.  Shallah Stevens

2 Responses to Elusive Goal

1. I also remember my first days as a teacher. They were some of the hardest days of my life. It is amazing how you start learning the tricks of the trade that make you life easier with planning, instruction, and classroom management. Practice does work towards perfection. Communication with collegues as you did also makes a world of difference. Teachers are the true survivors. There are few professions that require you to put on numerous “shows” that are entertaining and so meaningful in front of some of the toughest crowds.

2. Reading this blog took me back to the sleepless nights of preparing my lessons for student teaching. It wasn’t easy. Trying not to step on anyone’s toes, trying to fit, making sure this was the right career choice to pursue, all in one nutshell was definitely a memorable task. The main thing is that you came through like a champ ready to take another blow. You’re almost there.