Career Path

My career path has been chosen when I was about 13 years old taking a Foods and Nutrtion class at Elizabeth Blackwell JHS in Ozone Park Queens NY. I completely loved this class throughout the two years I was in school. I would Rock that foods class with my group and other students. My teacher ( Ms. Zeillo) really instilled that passion with pure observation and her patience with me as a teenager. I was so good I would help with programs in the community and eventually working with the farmers market in Queens and LongIsland. As I went on to Highschool I found myself coming back to the same JHS to do a cooking show and working at the local food fairs cooking mainly with fruits and vegetables creating everything. In highschool I worked in the daycare center creating healthy vegetables and talking about the farmers. On my watch all children ate their vegetables and the correct amount of fruit because I made it fun.
After highschool I went on to LaGuardia Community College majoring in Dietetics and doing my clinical rotation at St. Johns Hospital. I was eventually hired as a Food service supervisor/ dietician clerk. Wow that was my first real professional experience and they treated me well which really forced me to advanced in the area. I continued to attend York college majoring in Health Promotion Management . I learned how to create grants for health program and worked on healthy eating programs with the great Dr. Marks at New York University this course load was very challenging but the job was done. Over the years I went to work at Wic, Cornell Coopertaive Extension, the classroom Cookshop (K-5) in Harlem NY, the Farmers Market, John Adams Highschool Teen Smoothies Project, and I am currently working at NewYork Methodist Hospital as a Dietician Assistant which is my love . I then eventually entered Queens College to major in the Family and Consumer Science under Dr. Andrea Mosenson (such a great teacher) . I did my student teaching with the Sewanhaka district under the supervision of Joan Cheiffo and Alex Gonzalez . Eventhough I have worked in the health area pursuing my career all those teachers have helped and shaped me to become that Certified Family Consumer Science teacher I am today. I am continuing to work on my Masters in Education which will hopefully be completed in July of 2012. If NYC had the same program I would push hard to teach at the same JHS I originally came from. However I would travel to LongIsland and give back to all of the students. To me this is my longlasting career to be an effective teacher within the Family and Consumer Community

3 Responses to Career Path

1. I think this is among the most vital information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

2. Wow! Shallah, you had tremendous experience to pursue the FACS career path.

3. Hi there,
    I really enjoyed learning about your career path. You have had a lot of valuable experience as it relates to childrens nutrition and making the right food choices. I would love to hear about your experiences with cookshop. It sounds like an interesting program to be involved in especially since I am learning that all NYC school do not offer food and nutrition programs which is so sad for our children.