Common Core Standards/Annual Proffessional Performance

The question is have I heard of the Common Core Standards and my response is yes. It was created by the New York State to create a new skill and educate all students. The State created these standards for the next generation of students to help prepare them for college and career readiness. The Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) is an effective way to address the needs of the teacher in their content  area, subject matter, and instructional delivery that results in active student involvement. It also guides as a means of collaboration with other teachers and staff. The Professional Annual Review I believe is needed  and it serves as a means for continuous practice.

However, I do know that the common core standards are geared toward students learning and being sufficient in all areas like reading, listening and writing. It covers all other areas like history, social studies, science, and technical subjects.  As I read the guidelines about the (CCS) I really believe this is the way for students being competitive with other countries with the ability to produce grounded basic academics. All teachers should be aware of the New York State Common Core Learning Standards for children in grades K-12. Teachers should be knowledgeable that these students must be proficient in their grade level before moving forward. We should challenge each student with the structure and gaining knowledge for their future.

2 Responses to Common Core Standards/Annual Proffessional Performance

1. I also see the trend of common core curriculum being implemented now. Maybe this will give FACS a chance to prove that we are important and that we relate to all subject areas that the students are taking. I can think almost any subject and relate it to a FACS subject or even a CTE career. If we continue planning cross curriculum, our students will continue to love taking our classes, and we are also reinforcing concepts in other subjects.

2. Shallah, you are right when you stated that APPR standards are geared towards the improvement of the students and will enable them to be taught across the curriculum.
    When we make up our lesson plans we are have to make sure we reach the student in more than one subject area. Paying attention to the APPR standards when teaching only makes our job meaningful and full of information for our students.